Thursday, April 26, 2007

getting Japanized: Ikebana

Finally! After weeks of getting nicked from the cyberworld, our modem started flashing its red and green lights once again. Been offline for three weeks I think but it felt like 3 decades! This, my friend was only one of the aftermaths of moving from one house to another. Oh yes! We are finally settled in our new abode. Not quite though coz our bedroom (read: b-e-d-r-o-o-m! we have one now, unlike the studio type where my hubby and I lived for 4 months) is still jammed with partly opened boxes, trashed canisters, soiled mattresses etcetera etcetera..but it is still a bedroom! Its really a relief to have one.

Now I only have to post what I should have bloged decades ago-- my own ikebana experiment.






\


“Ikebana” or the Japanese art of flower arrangement translates to embody heaven, earth and man through the linear and coordinated assembly of all the materials being used. In the olden days ikebana are mainly taught to women who are about to get married. Now however, it is practiced at the convenience of anyone. Ahem! Fortunately for me, a friend received sayonara bouquets from his colleagues. Needless to say, I bargained to salvage his wilting petaled glories (because of lack of water supply). Though I think my creation were more western than local (im Japan based at the moment), my inspiration all stemmed from ikebana books I borrowed from Tsukuba public library. I figured that since I am here, I might as well learn its culture, afterall its omoshiroi! (interesting)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

now i know why you're not updating your website.:)

welcome back to the worldwideweb!

by late dad who was an artist and landscaper used to do that here in the US and getting paid for $150- 200 per arrangement in the late 80s.:)

i do some bonsai ad ikebana too as one of my hobbies. miniature zen/jap gardens pa pala but lahat pan regalo lng. too shy to make benta although many are telling me to do it:)

i do s

raqueLLe said...

wow! bonsai requires a lot of time and patience. that would make a really special gift to anybody. i suggest you consider making a profit out of it, malay mo you might top pa ung talent fee ng dad mo :)

its great to be back! thanks!

Anonymous said...

beautiful creations! pwede bang iuwi ang isa dyan at lagay ko sa kwarto ko? hehe

hlF said...

niiiiceeee... certainly adds a touch of class to your domicile, eh!