Sunday, September 23, 2007

Seven days ago..

Last Sunday, I was still half asleep and I had to feel my husband’s neck to check if he still has fever. And that was all I needed to know to cut me away from my 5 minute snooze habit every morning. The day before, I already listed down his palate’s cravings (a privilege bestowed to sick brats). So I head straight to the kitchen to hit the first in his list.

French Toast. This is a very easy “di sing hirap at di sing mahal” recipe (not as difficult not as expensive).

Whip 1 large egg, one yolk and a cup of milk (evap is preferred, if you’re going to
use fresh milk add more brown sugar to taste, if condensed milk is all you have, dilute with water about 1:1 ratio). Don’t be afraid to taste the mixture. Add sugar and salt to taste. Your bread slice is ready to take the plunge. Saturate it before frying. On a frying pan, put some butter (or margarine) plus oil to prevent the dairy from getting burned. Fry till your desired color.

I fried sausages in one batch, pour a glass of vegetable juice and ONE DOWN. He ate heartily, drank his meds, complimented me and went back to bed.

Second on the list was Pancit Sotanghon (Sautéed Vermicelli or glass noodle). I know my preferred ingredients would be a rare find so I just blindly check about 4 grocery stores to complete the ingredients “that will do”.

To save time, I boiled water with chicken cubes while slicing my vegetables and other essentials (carrots, string beans, cabbage, leeks, onions, garlic, shrimp, pork/chicken). Removed the boiling broth from heat and soaked to soften the noodles and to absorb flavor. I Scooped about half a cup of broth and soak achuete seeds for coloring. In a heated pan with oil, I sautéed onions, garlic, meat, carrots and beans, add shrimp cubes and the noodles. Season with salt and pepper and added the coloring. Paprika can substitute for achuete coloring. Then I added all greens last. Squeezed some calamansi or lemon before serving… and TWO DOWN.

On number 3 was a merienda mainly aimed to recycle the stale breads that occupied the fridge, hence the name Stale Bread Pudding.

I am well…lazy and I prefer things the easy way around. So I just tear about 3 slices of stale bread. Made a custard by putting together 1 whole egg, 2 egg yolks, 1 250ml evaporated milk, brown sugar and a dash of salt. Put the torn bread in the custard, let it stand until completely soaked, whip to homogenize and bake 270 F for 40 minutes or until nothing comes out with the toothpick test. I honestly don’t know any measurements apart from what was written in canned goods. I figure it mostly by tasting and trusting my instincts. Hehe..

His entire wish list made him well, there was some leftover pudding for breakfast and we ate it on the terrace while greeting the autumn wind..


There goes easy weekend recipe treats for your brats, boyfriends, or yourself!

5 comments:

karmi said...

it all looks good. i miss sotanghon so much. it's one of my favorite super-size snack. chilean taste is bland. i'm dying for asian spice. hello to romar. besos por ti.

Anonymous said...

hi ate leah. trina here. ang sarap naman ng mga luto mo. nakakagutom. hehe. :)

raqueLLe said...

hola karms! all the while i thought na people who speaks spanish eats "spanish-like" foods! crazy me! hehe. dont you have asian markets in chile?

hi Trina! thanks for visiting my blog!i linked you in my blogroll para di na ko mag open ng multiply every time. tamad ko! :P feels good to have a second cousin on my list.

Anonymous said...

ganda miss ko na ang mga foodtrips natin at luto lutuan sa casa! mwahz!

hlF said...

potah. nagutom ako ah. pakainin mo naman ako. ehehehehe