Tuesday, November 13, 2007

bento and more autumn in Tsukuba

Yesterday was my day-off. Monday, November 12.

I woke up few minutes past seven in the morning and I headed straight to my kitchen to prepare my hubby’s bento. I have no idea what to make. That morning was one of those rare times that I have to succumb to recipe books for aid. Hubby said he wants something salty and sinful. And I picked one which doesn’t quite match but I know he will like. Here is how his bento box looked yesterday.


Pork Humba (Pork stew)


Since I needed to make one only serving I have to divide the measurements to its smaller proportion. But of course I didn’t do that. I went directly to cutting the pork into strips, and combined it in a pan containing one clove of garlic crushed, one medium sized bay leaf torn to smaller bits, one pinch of dried oregano, two tbsp. soy sauce, six tbsp. vinegar, 5 tbsp. water, half tsp. brown sugar and one tbsp. peanuts. I set it to a very low fire and let simmer until all the liquids dried up and the flavor absorbed by meat.

Sotanghon Guisado ( Sautéed glass noodles)

It was the smallest amount I have ever cooked my entire life! I only cut about 25 grams sotanghon noodles and soaked it in hot water. In hot pan with oil I simply sautéed one baby prawn with shells removed, one octopus ball cut to quarters, two short string beans sliced thinly, carrots, brocolli and drizzle with lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste. I arranged the sotanghon underneath all vegetables and top it with shrimp to avoid the noodles from drying up.

The dilemma of giving in to the cravings of my brat is how not to compromise nutrition despite his food being sinful. So I tucked in some fruits for fiber and endlessly remind him to finish his vegetables.

And so my day went swiftly. I cleaned our house, do laundry because weather forecast said its gonna be sunny, arrange clothes in the drawer and of course a bright day merits a picture perfect moment. The wind was cold and its slowing down my bicycle so I parked under the dampness of a tall tree. Look whats right behind and above me..




Finally I have to attend to an English tutorial duty. It went okay and when I got back home I prepared dinner and came another time to think for the next o bento…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

as usual, nagutom na naman ako. hehe

btw, nice shots. you have an eye for beauty and details. :)

Anonymous said...

i'm back. :)

off topic: i saw karmi's comment about tortang talong & bicol in one of your posts. so, visited her site & wadya know?

we both hailed from the same town. haha

raqueLLe said...

bill, my jap workmates said that jap eats more with their eyes. so have a feast!

wow! your hometown should be proud to have two very fine writers!

and.. thank you for complimenting my photography. im starting and learning still.. its a biggie thing for a shallow raqx! :)