Saturday, November 10, 2007

oh bento!

One of the Japanese practices that I learned is they prefer to do most of their personal stuff in the evening. Few examples are taking a bath, cleaning their house, laundry, and even preparing food for the next day. Unlike most Filipinos I know who do the same in the morning. This habit of theirs may be more convenient sometimes but it is difficult to breakaway from my own. Since I was here for almost a year I noticed that I do clean the house and do the laundry after work but I would still rather bath in the morning. Guess I am not an old dog who can’t learn new tricks after all. One more trick that I submit myself into is to prepare most of our food bento at night. It happened again last Thursday, November 8.



Grilled pork

This was what we ate for dinner the night before. I grilled an extra for hubby’s breakfast and bento. He initially had a semi-violent reaction why I didn’t use the marinade mix that we’ve been using ever since. I told him its home made and asked him to taste it first. The entire batch almost didn’t see the light of day.

The fresh pork was very generous in flavor. I only marinated it for about 10 minutes with lemon juice (commercial, not even freshly squeezed) salt and pepper, a little garlic powder and tsp. of soy sauce to give it some color. Set it on a grill and wait till both sides are done.

Ginisang Sayote (Sautéed chayote)


One of the filipino’s home table basics. I sautéed onion, garlic, red bell pepper, carrots, sayote to make it. We usually put shrimp at home but since I don’t have any in my fridge I used a little pork and add half a cube of shrimp cube instead. Put a little water, soy sauce and season with salt and pepper.

Stuffed green bell pepper

The stuffing I used were still the parent of the meat balls and burger patties in my previous post. I just stuff half of red bell pepper and bake it for 15 minutes. Then top it with cheese and bake again for 20 minutes. The cheese didn’t melt because its cheddar. Mozzarella is the best option but obviously missing in my kitchen. :)

Semi-ohm rice and plain rice
I used the concept of ohm rice to separate the rice with sabaw ng sayote (soup of sautéed chayote) and plain rice.

Sooo I scooped the half amount of rice that can fill his bento box and put sabaw in it and mix. Pour a beaten egg on a hot pan with oil and swirl the pan to create thin egg layer. Put the rice (with sabaw) and fold the sides of the egg. Easier said err typed than done. It wasn’t easy since egg was too fragile. It almost cracked open when I placed it in. Then I filled in the other half of the box with plain rice and sprinkled it with sesame seeds.

There was still a little space left so I just chuck in a halved snicker for our dessert.

If you come to this point without noticing that hubby used a different bento box (because he left it in his lab) you were not looking at details close enough. :P

No bento last Friday, November 9.. November..November! I edited the previous posts coz it says October! Darn I’m so behind time!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes, bento!

nagugutom ako sa'yo. ")

Julia said...

nagutom ako sa bento post mo, lolah. pagbalik mo ng pinas, pwede ka na magopen ng japanese resto with a filipino touch (hehe)

raqueLLe said...

bill, punta ka dito sagot ko food!

julia, punta ka din dito now na! sige mag reto business tayo sagot mo capital? baka algo nuevo nanaman ito!